So Memorial Day is almost here. A time to reflect on those who have gone before us, and those who serve today.
In Yellowstone, it's time for late season snowstorms that close all the roads. They re-opened this morning around 10:00, so all those tourists are out there on questionable road surfaces. All of them are, I'm sure, very competent drivers who are not distracted and have great tires. Should be an interesting day.
I'm stuck on monster patrol this weekend. Aims headed down to open Grant Village food and beverage, so it's me, Tuck, Dozer, and Eddie together again. I do have a secret weapon, though. I bought "Lego Universe" for the Tuck man and he would play it 24 hrs a day if possible. We will try to get out hiking a few times if the weather will cooperate. I'm sick of being stuck in the apartment (aka "The Cave") so any chance to get out is welcome. Even if it's just up to the ambulance bay to clean out the cabinets.
We may have a line on a bigger house. I'm guardedly optimistic that we will be in bigger digs in a few weeks. It's hard not to get excited about the possibility of a bigger/better place, but we've had several disappointments this year so I'm holding back. Keep good thoughts on this one, folks!
My EMS volunteer work is going OK. I've been on four ambulance runs - 2 with Gardiner and 2 with the NPS. I rode shotgun on the 2 Gardiner runs, drove for one of the NPS, and got my first patient contact on my last run. And made so many mistakes, it was ridiculous. Forgot to pick up the patient's medication list at their house, froze up trying to fill in the run sheet, asked questions out of order and poorly. It was a mess. I have so much to work on.
As is typical for me, I've assembled a small library of EMS books and am reading through them as I have time. Most are gleaned from the EMS Newbie podcast/blog per the suggestions of Kelly Grayson. I've asked a couple of the paramedics here for a reading list as well. Here's the list of books I'm working through:
Textbooks:
Anatomy & Physiology for Emergency Care (2nd Edition)My new constant companion. In my backpack wherever I go.
Bob Elling, et al
Started going through this one, but decided to work through Bledsoe's book first.
Elaine N. Marieb
Haven't read it yet.
by Tim Phalen (Paperback)
Haven't read it yet. Borrowed this one from Joe.
Dale Dubin
Haven't read it yet.
The book from our course this winter. Ok, but not really well laid out.
Reference:
Keys to Student Mastery of EMT TrainingArthur Smith
This is actually helping me. Along with A&P for Emergency Care, this book rides with me in my pack. It's great for students who want to hone their study skills, or for lapsed learners who need a refresher. Who knew baroque music played lightly in the background, actually helps you study more effectively?
Donald Venes
At my bedside (well, next to the couch, anyway). I look up words constantly - has a CD version packaged with it which is nice.
Paul LeSage, et al
In my pack. Good guide, outside my scope of practice, but has med. names listed. Which helps when you can't spell. and don't know what they are used for.
Cal Newport
Haven't read it yet.
Light Reading:
A Paramedic's Story: Life, Death, and Everything in BetweenSteven ""Kelly"" Grayson
I really enjoyed this book - Kelly has a good style and experience working in a suburban/rural EMS.
Michael Morse
More urban EMS - great writer and an easy read
M.D. Samuel Shem
OK, this book is very weird. So weird I had to read some Stephen King after the first chapter to achieve some sense of normalcy.
Dan R. Sholly, Steven M. Newman
Haven't read it yet.
Peter Canning
Canning's first book - a bit preachy - first year as a medic.
Peter Canning
Canning's second book - his next 3 years as a medic - currently reading this one. Not bad - better than his first book IMHO.
Doctor on EverestDr. Kenneth Kamler
Pretty good so far - he's a hand microsurgeon who also climbs - he's got a great writing style.
Jane Stern
Don't bother reading this one. It sounded good, but I had to force myself to finish it.
So, quite a large list for a lowly First Responder! In order to prep myself for EMT-B class, I decided to go through Bledsoe's book, A&P for Emergency Care first. I was pinging around 12-lead interpretation books, EMT-B textbooks, you name it, but I lacked a focus and a background. I need to understand A&P first. A lot of it is re-hashing high school biology, but I'm getting into it. The study guide "Keys to Student Mastery of EMS Training" is also a big help to get me focused. The rest of the books are on the shelf for now until I master the basics.
I wouldn't consider doing this course without being able to have access to the classroom here at Yellowstone. Basically, the course is mostly online. They send you the book, study guide, video lectures, have instructor support online, and you work through the course at your own pace. Then you go spend a week at their training center and do 10 hours a day on psychomotor skills. You can either do your clinicals there (before or after the week-long class) or do them in your local area - you need 10 patient contacts, I think. After that, you do your NREMT certification. I've looked at several courses, and this one looks like it will fit in well with my schedule. It's not too expensive ($2,500) and includes everything but transportation to the resort on Hayden Lake. (I can visit my parents & old friends in Spokane after the course.)
I could probably convince the training staff here to let me use the equipment, or do some of the practical work on our regular training days.
This feels like the right decision.
Now I just need to decide when to start.
No comments:
Post a Comment