image du jour

image du jour

Sunday, May 15, 2011

32nd P2P is in the books!

Woot! It's over with. Being the 'safety coordinator' for the race is a bit crazy - trying to organize the volunteer medical folks, county sheriff department, swiftwater search & rescue, Montana DOT, get permits to have the race, blah blah blah - it's a chore but every year it gets done, somehow. I flagged the cattle guard (I'm a certified flagger as well - bet you didn't know that. Is there no end to this girl's mad skills?). This meant I stood on the side of the road and screamed at the bikers to stay on the fog line 'cause that's where the narrow "bridge" of plywood and rubber matting covered the huge gaps between giant steel bars. I held my breath as the first racer went over, and for each of the other 20. They all made it. Whew!
Couldn't have done it without JoJo & Davey taking over the other 2 spots, and the many other volunteers that make this race come together every year.
I was whupped at the picnic afterward. Hauling highway signs & road cones in and out of my car all day was a bit taxing. I left a bit early and grabbed a quick nap before dropping off the signs, etc. at the garage.

Trying to keep up on my EMS reading, podcasts, study, etc. Not much going on in our area, medically speaking, so I'm just trying to be prepared. Reading a lot of things way out of my scope of practice as a first responder, but hopefully not for long. Going to have to bug our folks here about whether or not they are going to offer an EMT-B course this winter. I keep looking at the WMI/NOLS course, but it's 20 days. If it's 8 hrs per day, that puts the course at 160 hours total, which is close to the minimum 150 hours required. I'd rather do a more comprehensive program, if possible. Something cheaper would be nice as well. It would be better for me to do a class concurrently with my work schedule as well - the boss would not be too enthused about me asking for a month off...

No comments:

Post a Comment