I'm getting used to the tones of my pager going off these days. For the first couple calls it was a struggle to clear my head and recall what the sound was. Is that my alarm? Is it time to go to the office?
But now, the first tones go off and my feet hit the floor. I'm throwing on my uniform and boots, checking pockets for drivers license, gloves, pen, gum (no time to brush those teeth...) and the obligatory ziplock bag with some spare cash so I can grab some caffeine and a snack after the call.
I grab keys, jump in the car and head up for the ambulance bay. Now that we moved up the hill I'm only a couple of minutes away. Almost there...and the call comes over the radio -- stand down. (aka - "We thank you for your quick response, but we don't need you")
Tell that to my adrenals at 0200!
I'm keyed up and ready to go, but there's no where to get to. No rush. I pull up to the bay, turn around, and drive back home. Get back in the jammies and try to sleep. No dice.
So I do dishes. Take the dogs out for a quick walk. Surf the internet. Read. Study Anatomy and Physiology. And wait for the sun to rise.
No comments:
Post a Comment