The view from the back patio of #374, Mammoth Hot Springs, WY. The Guiles' new home.I've been bidding on houses up here for some time. The bid process involves tallying up a score based on the number of people living with you, the amount of time you've worked for the government, and a bunch of other nonsense. You get an extra point for each kid, a point if they are of opposite sex. I tried to argue that dogs should count. People with kids argue that "it's your choice to have a pet" well, so is having a kid. Living with Tucker for a while, I've come to realize that the dogs are less destructive and much better trained. Anyway, after a long string of disappointments - bid sheets coming back where I ranked just out of the running on a house - I finally won. We are now the proud renters of a 3 bedroom, 1 bath, 1336 square foot house built in 1958.
The garage is the same size as the apartment I'm currently renting.
Seriously.
There's a garage! And flat parking! And a DISHWASHER!!!!
Granted, there are issues with the place - a lack of insulation is the number one complaint for most residents in Mammoth. The costs of propane for heating, mold issues, all that. But compared to living in a daylight basement where my landlords dogs crap outside the only window in the place, and bark constantly whenever he leaves, this is a big step up. I have enjoyed living there, don't get me wrong. I got lucky to have one of the best landlords ever. And great friends and neighbors. But it's past time to move on.
The view is lovely - I sat out on the picnic table in the back for a while and just enjoyed the sounds. It feels good to be moving back into the park. It's easy to get disconnected with the happenings in Yellowstone when you live in Gardiner. Too easy to forget why I work here for less money than I could make on the outside. I love this place.
No comments:
Post a Comment