image du jour

image du jour

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Random Rambles - Cheese

OK, so I just watched a PBS special (per Netflix) called, wait for it, "The Cheese Nun"
No, I have not gone crazy.
I'm thinking of branching out in my microbial endeavors and cheese seems to be the next logical step.
This ex-hippie now-nun from Connecticut decides to make cheese. Goes to U Conn and gets a doctorate in microbial ecology, wins a Fulbright to go to France to study fungi, ends up working there for a few years then coming back to her cloistered life in the US. She studied the diversity of fungi in regions throughout France and is a champion of the small cheesemaker (save the microbes!). Altogether a great story and worth a watch.
So I'm thinking about cheese. I love cheese. I love beer and cider and bread, and have tried to do my best with those microbes, so what the hell? Let's try cheese.
Mozzarella first - I wonder if I can get a bison to stand still for milking? (totally kidding)

1 comment:

  1. we need a tshirt that says that. i made goat cheese with a friend's mom in junior high. i remember it being pretty easy and tasty

    ReplyDelete