image du jour

image du jour

Thursday, November 4, 2010

unseasonably warm, nursing tomatoes, and flu I think


The weather has been way too warm -- particularly for a gal trying to get her deer and elk in early in the season. Drove up Rock Creek to Donaghue trailhead and only encountered a mere skiff of snow, and that only in the shade. NWS has the interior of the park with highs in the upper 40's to lower 50's. Ann bought a bunch of climate data and I'm going to try to get it sorted this weekend to check our weird year to the norm.
Though it has been too warm for hunting, the tomatoes came into the entry a month or so ago for a bit of babying. Mom started a couple for me this spring and pops delivered them for me - a cherry and a pear (both little tomaters). I bought another bigger plant in Bozeman for comparison. Mom's work was much better, as always. Even so, I was worried that by mid-August my yield was exactly 1 tomato.

Anyway, the yield got better and the addition of a grow-light (thanks mom) has kept things going into November. Actually there are a few new starts on one of the plants. I managed a couple gallon bags of tomaters. Not enough to can, but nice to have in the freezer to pop into pasta sauces, chili, or stew. Mom also put together a great mini-herb garden with 3 different varieties of basil, tarragon, parsley, and mint. They have been very nicely productive throughout the year and add a bit of green to my diet as well.

And on to the flu. At least I think it's the flu. It's also the reason I'm up writing in my blog at 0230 on a Thursday. I got pretty chilled during my hunting forays last week and weekend and wasn't feeling so hot on Sunday (chills, fever). Thought I could pull myself together, but no luck. Aims warned me that flu season had arrived (Mitch and Tuck were sick a few weeks ago) but I was convinced I would side-step the sick this year. No luck. I'm a horrible patient. I barely managed to take care of Bob's dogs and Michael's cat the past few days. It's great when a walk outside requires half an hour recovery time under a down comforter. Anyway, I'm feeling almost normal after a ridiculously long sleep/nap/sleep cycle. Really I don't know how long I was asleep. But now I'm wide awake in the wee hours so I figured taking the time to wash out my sweat-drenched linens and get my blog caught up would be a good use of my time.
Anyway, I gotta pull myself together and get into work early. Probably will need to work all weekend to get caught up as well. I loathe being sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment