So it has been a busy few weeks. Lots of work, but I am getting out "into the field" (leaving the office) so it's been nice. Weather is getting colder - had to scrape the windshield this morning!
Well, I'm down in Jackson for the week at the International Association of Wildland Fire conference. It is also the Biennial Yellowstone Science conference. It's all about the 20 year anniversary of the fires of '88.
Been very interesting - I have been focusing on the GIS/Remote Sensing aspects and got to go to a great workshop on mobile mapping from ESRI (GIS software folks). I definitely have ideas for how we can do things better.
I am listed as a co-presenter with Roy Renkin and Don Despain (heady company indeed) on a presentation titled "Wildland Fire Legacies: Temporal and Spatial Constraints of Historic Fires to Current Fire Behavior" Honestly, I just helped Roy out with the data setup and analysis, but it was nice of him to list me on it anyway. The paper will follow over the next months. The presentation is tomorrow so we are making a relatively early night of it.
The best (?) thing that happened so far is that I was rushing to meet a group for lunch today along the pseudo-western boardwalk sidewalks in Jackson and took a header on a small step. It had to be pretty funny for the folks sitting outside "Thai me up" to see me catch my sandal on the wood step and flail madly as I launched forward. My left knee took the brunt and I am limping around. Stupid. Should be some great bruises, though.
I am rooming in a townhouse with four other gals from Yellowstone and we have been having a good time. So busy I haven't had time to download photos, but I'll get to it soon.
Gotta run for tonight, plenary sessions start at 0800 (ouch).
Later all.
No comments:
Post a Comment