
I love dogs. Dogs are awesome.
So when I started looking for a dog a few years back, I couldn't help but fall in love with Hunter-Eddie. Half English bulldog, half Jack Russel terrier, he's an enigma.
(I describe his personality as half cat, half throw rug, but I digress).
Eddie was my oldest nephew's dog but the Louisiana humidity did not agree with his wrinkly skin. So he made the move back north.
First vet appointment found joints eaten with arthritis. Surgery and medication and that issue is something he can live with. Skin problems? He's on thyroid replacement.
Then last weekend I noticed he wasn't eating. Or rather he was trying to eat but food kept falling out of his mouth. Looked like it hurt to chew. "Dang, bad tooth," I thought. So off to the vet Monday.
Diagnosis? Masticatory muscle myositis. An auto-immune disease. Basically his immune system is attacking the muscles in his head, causing them to atrophy. "Have you noticed his head looking more sunken lately?" I had. I thought it was the weight loss, but the muscles around his eyes and behind his ears were wasting away. Intense pain is the result. Damn.
So off the pain pills for his arthritis, on to steroids and antibiotics. If he doesn't respond well, the disease has reached a chronic stage and he will get no better. Waited all week. Delivered pills on the dot (wrapped in cheese, his favorite). Steeped his kibble in warm broth so he could eat with less pain. And waited. I didn't see much, other than an increased thirst and urination rate due to the steroids. I haven't slept well this week.
We got back to the vet today. He wants to do blood work and another exam. We wait some more. He's hopefully optimistic. Blood work is clear, and it looks like he's responding to the medication.
All week I was on the verge of tears. I haven't had to put a dog down. All my dogs have died before I needed to make a decision. I thought a lot about it this week. How long to let him live, what would I do without that stupid bulldog following me around all the time. What a pain in the ass he is, and how much I love him.
For now, though, I can procrastinate that decision and just make sure he's happy.
Today was a very good day.
Poor dog - poor you! Hope that he continues to respond well.
ReplyDelete