image du jour

image du jour

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Las Vegas catch-up episode

A retrospective look at the trip to Vegas.
Enjoy!


MONDAY, AUGUST 29, 2011

Off to Vegas!
http://emsworldexpo.com/
One more hour of work, then it's in the car to the airport!
I will hopefully be blogging from the site (if I can find my dang air card...)
Too much to see and do in 3 days, but I'm gonna try!



TUESDAY, AUGUST 30, 2011
vegas day one

After a LONG day of travel (our flight was 5.5 hours late) we

finally arrived in the sparkly city in the desert - the one that

really shouldn't be here. I love it. I love Vegas BECAUSE it's so

wrong.Maybe it's the geographer in me, but this place is just too

much to absorb.

Anyway, just spent the evening (ahem...morning...) with fruity

drinks, too much tequila, slot machines, and chatting with a guy

named Bill from Wenatchee. Long story short, I got to sleep around

0500 and up around 0900 for breakfast - still a bit tipsy. God I

luv Vegas.

Our EMS director met us for breakfast and we decided to go check

out the conference site. one monorail stop later we emerged into

the opressive heat (it is August in the desert, after all) and

walked to the convention center. The site is huge. We got a quick

peek into the vendor area - we could spend the entire three days

there, I think.

We toured around a bit more - mostly along the monorail line - and

saw the MGM lions sleeping, a baby lion being burped, poked around

NY NY a bit, and split up for the afternoon. Lloyd and Jessi went

to a Cirque show, the "Pit Boss" (our EMS director) and Joe went to

meet up with an old friend who works down here, and I headed back

to the hotel - ostensibly for a nap. Instead I spent the afternoon

and evening going through the conference schedule and watching some

network TV. Sushi for dinner, lost some cash on the craps table,

and now hitting the hay - 0815 start tomorrow!

I'm getting stoked. It's just after midnight and I can't wait to

see the action. Funny, I've never been as excited about a GIS

conference...



WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 31, 2011
EMS World Expo - day 1

I slept thru the alarm this morning - I blame it on last night's

awesome sushi. And no, we were good and made it to bed relatively

early. Jessi and I are sitting in the food court area and I'm

attempting to touch-type on this tiny keyboard, so please forgive

the typos. The place is awash in EMS peeps - it's awesome! We're

attempting to connect to any wireless network that doesn't charge

$5 per hour for access and we are just hoping the social network

lounge will be free. Could not for the life of me find my stupid

air card before I left home, so we're at the mercy of public

networks...

Keeping an eye out for our bloggers in kilts - HappyMedic, AD, EMS

Newbie, etc. but with the bagpipers floating around there's a lot

of sporrin action on the convention floor. The rest of our guys

(Joe, the Pit Boss, and Lloyd) are at the keynote - the place was

so packed we couldn't even approach. Bummer.

So we're holding down a table and doing some serious people-

watching. Strange just being in such a large group of folks, not

really knowing any of them. The social network revolution, or

evolution has made us more friendly but also more anonymous. Its

hard for me to not want to go talk to some of my favorite bloggers

- I feel I know some of them pretty dang well, but we've never met!

Just ten more minutes until the vendor area opens - I have definite

goals (check out a ton of ambulances, meet with the Brady textbook

rep, spend a ton of time in the social media lounge, find the

person selling "RipShears", play with a lot of equipment, gather

the swag...) that AND I actually have somewhat of a schedule for

this afternon triage, ECG's, Trauma and emergency driving. It's

gonna be a great afternoon.

(LATER)
Bryan Bledsoe's talk is starting off well. Supposed to be pretty

controversial, but loving it so far. OK, a bit dry with the

statistical analyses, but hey - evidence-based EMS is where we are,

right?

Tried to get into another class but settled on the one on my list

with the least line (yup, you get to line up for each session and

get your badge scanned.) Stupidly slow, really.

Anyway, I'm in EKG's Made Easy by Larry Macy (from Rock Springs,

WY) and scored my good seat with a table from the last session, so

I'm OK. Apparently we "become" the heart in this session...and it

was great! Kept hte energy and interest level of the audience up

really well and gave us a great visual cue for 12+ of the rythms.

Really nice.

Dang netbook battery is down to 30% so I will have to charge up

soon - somewhere.

(LATER)
Confessions of an EMS Newbie podcast live in 20 mins, so I'm

literally blogging from the floor of the conference at the Pysio

Control Social Media Lounge (there's power here) Mass Casualty

Incident at 1815, so I should have a few minutes to hit the vendor

area again. Glad I get to stay through the entire conference

(Friday). I think it will be much less busy then. (?)

(LATER)
Finally found a chair in the Social Media Lounge - standing next to

the EMS Newbie and AD. Pretty kewl stuff. Podcast is running a

bit late, but have no idea where the rest of our crew is (she says

just as everyone walks up behind us) and we became the ersatz

audience for the "Confessions" micro podcast - weird.

Not many folks at the podcast - probably 'cause everyone was

jockying for position at the mass casualty. All good though. Got

to meet the kilted twins - Ron & Kelly and was on the front row for

their intro of the EMS Newbie essay contest winner.

The mass casualty went well, for what I could see from the ground

level. They really needed more bleachers so more of us could get

up high to see the action.

Dinner was lovely - went to The Sea at Bally's - the Thai was

excellent and I enjoyed myself despite the price. Lloyd, Ssej,

and I ordered an appetizer and entree each. They were awesome.

Joe and the Pit Boss joined us late and we had a great re-hash of

the day. Apparently I need to visit the SAM splint booth as well as

the Stryker booth tomorrow. And we're going ambulance shopping.

Lots of difficult choices as far as sessions go, but I'll probably

use the same logic as today - go to one of the ones I'm interested

in, but go for the shortest line.

Not even midnight and I'm back in the room. Dang I'm being a good

person this week!

Jessi is leaving in the morning 'cause she's gotta work on Friday,

so I'm losing my 'wing man' and I'm bummed. Oh well. Still have a

couple days of conference to enjoy!


THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2011

EMSWorld Expo Day 2!

Day Two - Whew!

Spent the morning in sessions - then met Joe and the Pit Boss for

some ambulance shopping.Two guys and a gal out shopping for a

couple Type 1's and a very special Type 2 - one that is light

enough to have tracks attached in place of the wheels to travel

over groomed snow. Of the four salesmen who we spoke with, two

basically ignored me (one called me "hun") and only one seemed to

realize that I had input into our agency's decision with which

ambulance to go for. I hate that crap. I am not an idiot who is

scared away from the modern combustion engine and distracted by

pink, sparkly items. Please just treat me the same as another

potential customer. Okay?

I am sold on the Sprinter (which I just found out Dodge is no

longer a part of - just Mercedes and Freightliner now) I love the

way it looks, drives, feels after hard hours in the seat. It's

thoughtfully designed and a great rig. One small problem.

Apparently, they don't have an all-wheel drive version for sale

here in North America. Europe? You betcha. They've got them

going on over there. But apparently they are not certified for the

US and Canada. Lame.

Regardless, I have a lot to say about ambulances. I detest smarmy

salespeople who treat the ladies like morons. STOP IT!

OK, I'm done ranting now.

I have a few knocks for this place (Las Vegas Covention Center) - a

few technical difficulties in sessions, bad internet (either

extremely expensive or low quality), and no nap rooms :)

Can you tell I'm tired?



FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2, 2011

EMSWorld Expo Day 3 - the roundup

Fewer folks today, which was nice. Not such long lines to get into

sessions. The end of conferences are quite often like the end of

camp - new and old friends hug, promise to keep in touch. This one

was a bit different for me. As a GIS professional at a GIS

conference, I am 100% integrated. I know most of the stuff that's

going on and can really get into it.

This was very different. I am very new to the EMS camp and pretty

much everything is a mystery to me. As an EMR, I'm probably the

least qualified and least experienced person here. That's a

strange feeling for me. I didn't integrate well into this group.

Now that I think about it, I suppose it was the same for me in GIS.

The first few conferences I felt out of sync - like everyone else

knew each other and had some sort of inside track. They were

meeting for drinks, chatting, having intellectual debates over

dinner, the whole social aspect. Once Jessi left I really didn't

have anyone to talk to. Our guys are great, but they are guys and

this is Vegas.

The guys left this morning, so I am the only one still at the

conference. Guess thats a weird feeling as well. Hundreds of

people I don't know who are at least acquainted, or speak the same

language, and I don't fit in.

I don't know, maybe I'm just feeling melancholy because this whole

EMS thing is a strange new group for me. Or maybe because I'm such

a late-comer to this field. I'm 37 years old for crying out loud.

I'm great at making maps, doing spatial data analysis, so why do I

do this EMS thing? It's certainly not for the money. I guess

that's a question to answer another day

So I have a few hours until my flight leaves. My grandfather died

so I changed my ticket this week to fly back to my ancestral

homeland in Washington State for the funeral service. It will be

nice to visit with my family for the day. Maybe that's having an

effect on my mood as well. Who knows?

Hard to believe, but I'm at a loss for what to do at this point.

My bags are back at the hotel bell desk, I'm checked out of my

room, and I still have 6 hours to kill before my flight. Not

interested in gambling away more money, or sitting at the airport

for hours in an uncomfortable spot. But I'm ready to leave Vegas

now. Seriously ready.

Left my ECG and A&P books (ahem, and my nintendo) in my bags, have

no internet here, and it's emptying out. Guess I will bust out of

the convention center and head south. Pick up my bags, give away

my monorail pass, and get a taxi to the airport. Hopefully I can

find a semi-comfortable spot to settle in, plug in, and waste a few

hours. Wish me luck.

(LATER)
Gambled some more? Check
Picked up bags? Check
Gave away monorail pass with 2 more days on it? Check
Taxi to airport? Check
Lost my mini leatherman to McCarran security? (with teeny scissors & tweezers in it) Check
Still 3.5 hours early for my flight? Yup

Sigh

Can't wait to get out of this town.


No comments:

Post a Comment