
So the word has made it around Gardiner that I made my first kill. All I can say is thank goodness for stupid deer. And thank Roy for not laughing at me.
I have to say that I was really expecting to get nothing this year, but Roy managed to drag me out up Eagle Creek to fill my antlerless mule tag on the afternoon before Thanksgiving.
My first chance was at a beautiful muley at about 140 yards or so. A perfect shot. But of course I couldn't find a dang thing to brace against and really wondered what the hell I was doing up there. Couldn't see a thing through the scope, and the bugger sauntered over a small hill. I moved back to the truck and Roy suggested I sidehill it a bit to try for a better angle. As I was waiting for a good one, Roy said, "Psst - hold it - look above you" 2 lovely muleys at about 100 yards. I got a good bead on one, squeezed the trigger - click - son of a bitch. Forgot to chamber a round! Popped one in quickly, tried to settle down, took a shot - and missed. The deer were so used to shots popping off that they just looked around for crying out loud! Chambered another round, sighted in, deep breath, and smack - hit one.
Roy did the dirty work in the field but let me drag the little yearling buck down the hill (note to self - always shoot uphill - makes dragging a lot easier). We got him back to Jessi's garage and Roy talked Alicia and I through the skinning and quartering process. Took a lot longer than if he would have just done it himself, I'm sure, but it was nice of him to take the time.
After a few days hanging, I started butchering over the weekend. Unfortunately the bullet exited out a rear leg and ruined most of the meat on that quarter. Still got about 15 pounds of tender yearling out of it. Just finished up grinding the rest of the burger - LOVE that Kitchen Aid grinder attachment! Would have been nice if my sis were here - she would get a kick out of the whole processing part of it and it would have been nice to have an extra set of hands.
Here's a couple of pics Jessi took during the evening - the little guy in the truck, and Roy instructing Alicia how to skin. Unfortunately both Roy and I forgot our cameras so no "trophy" pics of the little guy. I like hunting a lot. Elk season has been extended...hmmm...
Congrats on the deer! 10x point multiplier for doing all the skinning and butchering, too! ;-) I've always mostly cheated; gut 'em in the field, then pay a butcher to do the rest, then get back meat. Pity that I can never convince Kirsten to try venison; I got back from my annual deer hunt in Missouri just two weeks ago, and the freezer is full of the stuff now. Mmmm...
ReplyDeleteGlad all's well!
Aaron
Blam!
ReplyDelete